International Centre for Education and Democratic Citizenship (ICEDC)
This joint international research centre builds on the existing strengths both within Birkbeck and UCL Institute of Education, University College London. The aims of the Centre are to:
- develop and sustain a research programme in the interdisciplinary fields of citizenship, education and democracy including education for democratic citizenship (EDC). Our research addresses national, European and international levels across all phases of education (early years, compulsory, post-compulsory, higher, adult, initial and continuing teacher education)
- provide programmes of seminars, colloquia and conferences to develop scholarly exchange
- promote research excellence and provide a research base for developing theories, practices and policies in this field
- make research accessible by disseminating results of research activities to academics, policy makers, practitioners working in the field and the public
- provide interdisciplinary networking opportunities for those working in the field
- develop programmes of collaborative taught provision at doctoral and master's levels.