Centre for Higher Education Studies (CHES)
Co-Directors: Professor Sir Peter Scott
and Dr Paul Temple
On 1 October 2010 Professor Sir David Watson took up his post as Principal of Green Templeton College, Oxford, but remains a Visiting Professor at the Institute of Education. On 1 January 2011 Professor Sir Peter Scott joined the Institute of Education as Professor of Higher Education Studies. He was formerly Vice-Chancellor of Kingston University.
Founded in 1985, the Centre for Higher Education Studies (CHES) aims to be a leading centre of its kind, and works hard to play its part in the development of research and scholarship into higher education. It also has an extensive consultancy arm. Major themes that CHES has recently worked on include theoretical and conceptual issues in higher education, national and international policy and higher education operational management covering governance, financial management and professional identity.CHES Activities
- We conduct funded research into higher education
- We conduct a wide range of consultancy projects, from a day to several months in duration
- We produce books and papers in the research literature and other research and scholarly output | more
- We provide a forum for debate.
These activities include:
- A regular evening seminar programme, the speakers at which include the leading researches in higher education studies.
- An annual international conference | read more
- Is involved in capacity building. Here, the Centre acts as a forum in which higher education research students at the Institute of Education can come together, in a regular seminar programme. The individual academic staff members of the Centre also have their own research students.
These seminars are open to all and everyone is very welcome.The Centre also:
Welcomes visitors from across the UK and from around the world. Individuals are very welcome to visit us when they are in London and to give papers if they wish. Visits can last from an hour to a year! The latter is accomplished via the Institute's scheme for Academic Visitors
- Has a number of CHES Associates, who work with us on different projects