The Centre runs a number of events each term. Please contact Guy Benton for further information.
Global Learning in Schools
When: Monday 12 May 2014 from 10:30-16.30
Where: Jeffery Hall (level 1), Institute of Education, 20 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AL
This major international conference will discuss how global learning is being implemented across the UK and elsewhere in Europe and what are the key issues and concerns that are emerging within this practice.
The conference will particularly focus on the role of knowledge within global learning, how it is constructed and what are its core elements.
There will be speakers at the conference from the Global Learning Programmes in the UK and similar initiatives across Europe with a keynote from Professor Annette Scheunpflug from Bamberg University in Germany.
The format of the conference will include:
- Presentations in groups around keynotes
- Panel discussion looking at examples of practice
- Presentations on examples of research to date from Global Learning Programme in England
- Workshops and seminars reviewing issues emerging from the programmes to date and similar initiatives across Europe
- Plenary review includeing discussion on possible themes for research and evidence of impact of global learning in schools
The cost of the conference is:
- Free if your school is currently signed up to the Global Learning Programme in England
- £40 to others (this includes teas, coffees, lunches and copies of publications launched at the event) if you book by April 1st
We would welcome proposals from schools, researchers and organisations working with schools for leading workshops and seminars. Proposals of no more than 100 words should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 February 2014. These proposals can either be:
- Seminar outlining research and evidence emerging from practice within schools on aspects of global learning
- Workshop exploring themes that have emerged within schools that are deemed to be valuable to share and debate
Proposals must be directly related to practice within schools and demonstrate evidence of engagement of teachers and/or students.
If you would like to provisionally book for the conference, please contact email@example.com
Global Learning - The Future of Education?
On 25 June 2013 the DERC, in partnership with the Institute of Ideas Education Forum, hosted a debate entitled 'Global Learning - The Future of Education?'. Dr Douglas Bourn, Director of the DERC, and Dr Alex Standish, Lecturer in Geography Education at the IOE and author of 'The False Promise of Global Learning: Why Education Needs Boundaries' contributed to the debate which was chaired by Professor David Lambert. View the debate