Read more about our mission and strategyIOE Research, Consultancy and Knowledge Transfer Strategy 2010-15 (pdf) (0.13Kb)
Mission and strategy
Our research has two main aims:
To address fundamental questions that have a direct bearing on all members of society.
These questions include:
- the use of international, comparative and global perspectives in education advancing the values of equality
- social justice and human rights in education
- defending and promoting the foundations of education and the contribution of the disciplines of education
- recognising the specialist status of our Institution in these areas
- understanding the links between theory and practice in education
- building clear and explicit connections between education and other social domains such as the family, health and welfare.
To raise the standard of educational research.
We achieve this in a number of ways, by:
- promoting the highest standards of quality in research in education
- seeking to ensure the highest standards of ethical integrity in our research
- aspiring to maintain and build on the tradition of research in education developed here over the last century
- seeking to lead the field of educational research
- aiming to enhance the public debate about education through our independent research-based contributions to the major issues of our day
- welcoming and pursuing partnerships with local, national and international agencies, in order to promote the public good in education
- cultivating links and critical engagement with other social sciences and humanities, thereby enhancing theoretical, methodological and evidence-based understandings of education in its broader relationships with society.
Through these means we aspire to understand and improve the standard of education as a whole, in schools and throughout life and society, and to advance the standing and role of education in twenty-first century society.