IOE Library Guides
Ask us! Use LibAnswers online enquiry service:
Newsam News - IOE Library and Archives blog
Library and Archives
The Newsam Library and Archives holds extensive collections of current and historical materials on education and related areas of social science.
In addition to supporting the work of staff and students at the Institute of Education, it welcomes enquiries from all scholars, researchers, and others in the community with an interest in education.
It offers generous study space, and open access to many of its collections. The library catalogue is available to all users, and can be viewed remotely over the internet.
• The main library collection of books and documents on all aspects of education, incorporating a large section on education worldwide
• The journals collection – 4,000 titles available electronically and over 2,000 in print
• A wide range of other electronic resources, such as databases, electronic books, documents and websites, linking to the very latest information
• 23 special collections and over 100 deposited archive collections, containing unique historical resources on education, and influential organisations and individuals working in the field
• The Curriculum Resources collection, displaying examples of schoolbooks and teaching materials for all levels and all school subjects
• the main education collection contains a copy of every book on education published in the UK, and a substantial range from elsewhere
• major archives include those of the World Education Fellowship, the National Union of Women Teachers and the College of Preceptors
The library's collections are supported by a team of dedicated professional staff, and by the provision of a wide range of services:
• access is free of charge to all scholars and researchers
• the main Library is open 7 days a week
• the Library catalogue is available on the Internet, worldwide, 24 hours a day
• the enquiry service provides one to one assistance to users, in person, by phone or by email
• training in the use of databases and software is available (see Intranet links).
• a range of loan services is provided for registered users