This masters degree will:
- allow you to engage with a wide range of theories and trends in education
- encourage you to reflect critically on current policies and practices (including your own)
- broaden your perspectives, enabling you to learn alongside colleagues from around the world
- develop your research skills and increase your understanding of what constitutes high quality research in education
- augment your personal and professional development.
This masters degree provides the opportunity to:
- study a broad, balanced degree with the ability to choose option modules to suit your particular needs and interests
- undertake a programme designed with international students in mind, which can be studied by distance learning, face-to-face, or a combination of both
- benefit from teaching delivered by top academics in the field of education
- access the resources of both the UCL Institute of Education (IOE) and University of London International Programmes
- be awarded the International Baccalaureate Advanced Certificate in Teaching and Learning Research (IB experience required - special conditions apply)
Who is this programme for?
This programme is suited to a broad range of education professionals including teachers in a range of subjects and phases, educators interested in leadership or promotion, and others interested in various aspects of education including policy and development.
This programme will especially suit applicants who are looking for a more inter-disciplinary degree programme.Entry requirements
A good first degree, 2:2 minimum, or the equivalent. (Note: some optional modules may have additional entry requirements).How are you assessed?
The assessment on this programme varies if you are a registered UoLIP student or IOE student. For IOE students, all the modules are assessed by written coursework and a 20,000 word dissertation. For UoLIP students, assessment is by written examination for the core modules, coursework assignments for the option modules, and a dissertation assessed by a written examination and a 12,000-word assignment.Attendance
Students can choose to attend by distance learning, face-to-face or a combination of the two.
The first core module 'What is Education?' is taught three times in the year: as an intensive course and as a 10 week module. The intensive course will take place in the summer (July to early September) and can be studied either fully online or in mixed mode (a combination of online delivery and a two-week series of lectures at the Institute in London). Students taking the mixed mode option will be required to attend the Institute daily lectures and seminars throughout the two weeks from 20 - 31 July 2015 inclusive.
The module will also be offered in the Autumn and Spring terms, taught over a ten-week period. This version of the module will also be available for online or mixed mode students. Lectures will take place one evening a week.
The second core module, and the option modules are taught in a variety of modes including mixed mode, intensive short-courses, face-to-face or online. Students may select modules to suit their preferred mode of study and circumstances. It is possible to complete the full MA by distance learning.How to apply
Applications for a distance learning version of the programme will be accepted through the University of London International Programmes website, where you'll find more detailed information about the programme.
Applications for campus-based version of the programme can be made by clicking here.
If you have any questions, please email the programme teamOption modules
Students may select two option modules. The modules are listed under one of three blocks (headings). Students select two option modules. Each of the modules chosen must be from a different block.
Download this leaflet (pdf, 1.04 mb) for further information on this programme, including details of students' experiences on this programme.
Is this programme for you? Try a free "taster" course, taught online by experts in the field of education. Find out more (external website).Visa Information
This programme is suitable for international students on a Tier 4 visa