Geography Education MA
This masters degree will:
- enable you to develop a personal response to the challenges of geography education
- increase your understanding of the literature and concepts of geography education
- advance your professional skills and develop your knowledge for successful subject leadership
- enable you to reflect on your own and others' practice in curriculum-making
- look at the contribution geography will make to educating young people in the future
- encourage you to seek publication for excellent pieces of coursework.
This masters degree offers the opportunity to:
- experience intellectual challenge and stimulation
- access all materials and resources online
- exchange experiences with students and geography educators across the world
Who is this programme for?
Anyone with an interest in geography education, including practising teachers and people involved in geography education in other sectors. We welcome graduates with masters-level credits from a PGCE in a relevant subject.
A good first degree in geography or a related subject.
- What is education?
- Communicating geography in education
- Understanding research.
- Leading the geography curriculum
- Issues in education
How are you assessed?
10,000-word report or a 15,000-word dissertation.
Online learning, with optional face-to-face sessions or equivalent online sessions.
Where do our students go?
Graduates of this masters degree are currently working as:
- teachers, heads of humanities, heads of geography and senior managers in primary and secondary schools
- policy-makers and education consultants
- geography teacher training tutors
- PhD students.
Please download the MA Geography Education Newsletter ([pdf, [0.14mb)
International students may take this programme at home via distance learning without requiring a visa. This programme is not suitable for students on a Tier 4 visa