History of Education MA
Interested in finding out more about this programme? Book your place at the Postgraduate Open Day on Wednesday 2 April 2014.
This masters degree will:
- help you acquire knowledge and understanding of education through a historical perspective
- develop your skills in historical methodology by reflecting on oral, written and visual sources and interpretations
- enable you to critically review arguments and analyse the experience of education from the 18th century to the present day
- support you in undertaking a research study on an aspect of history of education in an international perspective.
This masters degree provides the opportunity to:
- study a programme that is unique in the UK
- reflect on your personal educational experience and set it within a historical framework
- study history of education beyond the classroom including collaboration with local museums and archives
- connect contemporary policy and practice to what happened in the past
- become part of a vibrant research community with a regular programme of seminars and workshops convened by the programme leader.
Who is this programme for?
People with a strong interest in social history, including teachers working in primary, secondary and further education and local authorities; school governors; policy-makers; politicians, and people working in the field of history and education, such as archaeologists, museum curators and archivists.
A good first degree.
- History of education: concepts and international perspectives
- Theory and policy in education
- Education research.
- Gender and class: theory and practice
- Social histories of British education.
How are you assessed?
By coursework assignments of up to 5,000 words and a 20,000-word dissertation or 10,000-word report.
Mixed mode, including face-to-face Saturday or weekday evening sessions and interactive online learning.
Where do our students go?
Graduates of this masters degree are currently working as:
- senior archivist
- professor of education
- senior journalist and policy adviser.