TESOL (Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages) MA
This masters degree will:
- explore the latest developments in the theory, policy and practice of TESOL, second/foreign language education and applied linguistics
- deepen your understanding of key concepts and ideas related to second/foreign language teaching
- develop your ability to select, design and evaluate second/foreign language teaching materials and procedures
This masters degree provides the opportunity to:
- discuss and debate issues related to TESOL and applied linguistics with UCL Institute of Education (IOE) staff and MA students from around the world.
- work with leading researchers from the Languages in Education Research Centre
- reflect on your own professional work in the light of current theory and research in TESOL and applied linguistics
- become part of one of the oldest and most well-known centres for English Language teacher development in the world
- study on campus, by distance or in mixed mode.
Who is this programme for?
Practising teachers of English as a second or foreign language (ESL, EFL, ESOL) throughout the world. We accept teachers of other languages on the understanding that most of the examples used during the programme will be drawn from English language teaching.
Recent graduates who have not yet gained experience as English language teachers should see our TESOL (pre-service) MA
Normally, a good first degree in a relevant field (e.g. English language, literature, modern foreign languages, linguistics, education) plus a minimum of two years' full time (or equivalent part-time) language teaching experience post first degree.
Candidates with less professional experience post first degree will be considered if they have an outstanding academic record in a relevant field and can demonstrate insight into language learning and teaching. Alternatively these candidates can apply for the TESOL (pre-service) MA
Candidates without a degree in a relevant field will need a teaching qualification plus a minimum of five years' full-time language teaching experience post first degree
If you have successfully completed the Cambridge ESOL Diploma in English Language Teaching (DELTA) or the Trinity Diploma in TESOL within the past six years, you are eligible for exemption from one 30-credit optional module.
- Language teaching and methodology
- Sociolinguistic and sociocultural perspectives on language teaching
- Describing and analysing language systems.
How are you assessed?
By coursework assignments of up to 5,000 words and a dissertation portfolio of up to 17,500 words.
Face-to-face daytime and/or evening sessions. Distance and mixed mode options are available.
Where do our students go?
Graduates of this masters degree are currently working as:
- English language teachers from the early years to HE
- senior managers and directors of study in the private sector and in state schools
- textbook and materials writers, editors and publishers
- education journalists
- NGO and development officers
- education consultants, policy advisers and researchers
- PhD students.
This programme is suitable for international students on a Tier 4 visa - study must be full-time, face-to-face, starting October or January
- Dissertation LINE Cluster
- Fundamentals Of Second And Foreign Language Teaching
- Sociolinguistics And Sociocultural Theory