For help finding a particular piece of the Unit's work, please contact our administrator Sarah Gelcich.
The department of Culture, Communiation and Media attaches considerable importance to the dissemination of its research findings through its teaching and publications. This includes publication in books, edited collections and academic, practitioner and policy-relevant journals.
Listed below are a sample of recent publications by CCM staff. Further publications are listed on our individual staff pages.
- Andrews, R. (2010) Re-framing Literacy ABOVE English at school in England. New York: Routledge
- Block, D. (2011) 'Unpicking agency in sociolinguistic research with migrants'. In M. Martin-Jones and S. Gardner (eds) Multilingualism, Discourse and Ethnography. London: Routledge.
- Burgess, L. (2009) 'Learning as a Social Practice in Art and Design' In N. Addison, L. Burgess, J. Steers and J. Trowell, Art & Design: Teaching School Subjects 11-19. London: Routledge/Falmer.
- Burn, A. (2009) Making New Media: creative production and digital literacies. New York: Peter Lang.
- Franks, A. (2008) 'School drama and representations of war and terror: some theoretical approaches to understanding learning in drama in troubled times', Research in Drama Education 13(1), 23-37
- Hardcastle, J. L. (2009) 'Vygotsky's Enlightenment Precursors', Educational Review
- Hoyles, C. Noss, R., Kent,P. and Bakker, A. (2010)† Improving Mathematics at Work: The need for techno-mathematical literacies Routledge
- Jewitt, C. (ed.) (2009) The Routledge Handbook of Multimodal Analysis, London:Routledge.
- Lapping, C. (2008) 'The ethics of interpretation: the signifying chain from field to analysis', Discourse: studies in the cultural politics of education Vol. 28, No. 1.
- Laurillard, D and Ljubojevic, D. (2011). Evaluating learning designs through the formal representation of pedagogical patterns. In J. W. Kohls & C. Kohls (Eds.), Investigations of E-Learning Patterns: Context Factors, Problems and Solutions (pp. 86-105): IGI Global.
- Luckin, R. (2010) Re-designing Learning Contexts. Routledge
- Mavers, D. (2009) 'Student text-making as semiotic work', Journal of Early Childhood Literacy 9(2), 141-155
- Meecham, P. (2009) 'Culture at the Heart of Regeneration?' In B. Biggs and J. Sheldon (eds), Art in the City Revisited. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press
- Noss, R., Bakker A., Hoyles, C., and Kent, P. (2007) 'Situating graphs as workplace knowledge', Educational Studies in Mathematics 65(3), 367-384.
- Lund, A. D., and O'Regan, J. P. (2010) 'National occupational standards in intercultural working: Models of theory and assessment' In M. Guilherme, E. Glaser and M. C. Mendez-Garcia (eds), The Intercultural Dynamics of Multicultural Working.. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- Pachler, N. and Daly, C. (2011) Key issues in e-learning: research and practice. London: Continuum
- Preece, S. (2009) Posh Talk: Language and Identity in Higher Education. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Robins, C. (forthcoming) Curious Lessons in the Museum: the pedagogic potential of artists' interventions. Ashgate Publishing.
- Selwyn, N. (2011) 'Schools and schooling in the digital age: a critical perspective' London, Routledge
- Welch, G.F. (2011). Culture and gender in a cathedral music context: An activity theory exploration. In M. Barrett (Ed.), A Cultural Psychology of Music Education. (pp. 225-258). New York: Oxford University Press.